The very first school in Perry Township opened in 1835. By 1884 eight schoolhouses enrolled 363 pupils with an expenditure of $2,860. There were also two school houses in Perry Special District that enrolled 96 pupils with an expenditure of $875. In 1931 a building for grades 1-9 was built. The high school was built in 1959, The first class to graduate from Perry High School was in 1961. An addition to the High School building was added in 2002. There are currently over 800 students enrolled, K-12.
The Perry Local Schools believe:
- students must be prepared to live and work in global society
- all members of the school community should model certain core values such as cooperation, respect, and honesty
- all individuals are unique and have value, and when provided with appropriate opportunities, can and will learn
- learning is a life-long process
- that education is a partnership between students, teachers, and parents
Perry Local Schools has a dedicated and highly qualified staff of teachers at the center of our school's educational process. Our faculty is anchored by 50 full-time teachers. Fully certified, all of our faculty members hold a bachelor's degree, and the majority hold a Masters's degree.
The Perry Booster Clubs are dedicated groups of parents who, along with school administration, work hard to provide quality assistance for all supported programs and students. Our Booster Clubs fulfill academic, music, and athletic needs.
Our Athletic Programs
The total athletic programs at our school are designed to ensure that our students receive the opportunities to participate in a multitude of OHSAA varsity sports. Our district programs include football, volleyball, golf, cross country, basketball, baseball, softball, track, and cheerleading.
Our well-rounded curriculum teaches basic and advanced classes in all core subject areas:
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Special Education
- Gifted Education
- Foreign Language
- Spanish and Sign Language
- Computer Education
- Fully equipped and monitored lab
- Full range of vocal and instrumental instruction
- Self-expression, creativity, and elements of design
- Physical Education
- Health Education
- Remedial Programs
- State of the art facility with experienced library faculty
We, as educators, guide our students to embrace diversity, to nurture talents, and to prepare them to be lifelong learners who work for a better world, now and in the future. We are truly committed to continuing the past tradition of academic excellence for all of our students.